Thursday 8 March 2007

Plekker research is in the air

Yesterday I browsed White pages for Plekkers and phoned Mrs. Randall Plekker, Grand Rapids US.
She was pleasantly surprised and knew so many names of Plekkers, also of those who married into other families.
We talked for a while which was great and because her husband wasn’t at home, she gave me the phone number of her brother in law Robert Plekker.

I phoned Robert who told me he received my e-mail of a few days before (I wasn’t sure if it was the same Robert) and said he visited the blog where he read about my brown eyes.
“We all have bleu eyes”, he said “But I made it up by marrying brown eyes!”
He told me that he will forward my e-mail to his aunt Elaine Plekker who is in her 80’s and busy working out her family tree. So searching is definitely in the air!
Elaine has many pictures which would be great for the album. I am very much looking forward getting in touch with Elaine.

Her father William visited Holland in 1939 (see album). A very nice man with a good sense of humour, says Mum. “We were all very fond of him!”

My mother remembers well that when the war ended in 1945 with the whole family short of descent clothing, Elaine and Lawrene’s parents – William and Mathilde Plekker – sent dresses, coats, shoes etc. to my grandparents for Nel, Mies and Wil.
Very thankful and proud they were wearing the most beautiful clothes of excellent fabrics and fashion like never seen in Zaandam before.

This morning I told my mother about Elaine and Mum’s eyes were sparkling. Wouldn’t it be great if they could speak on the phone?
It will certainly bring up stories which I will post here. Stay tuned!

No comments: